THE IMPORTANCE OF ALTERNATIVE ENERGY READY HOMES
For decades the power grid has supplied electricity upon demand, almost without exceptions. Going forward we can expect power interruptions, often for long periods of time. By preparing energy options now we can maintain a relatively comfortable and safe living environment without the aid of the grid.
All Artisan Homes permitted after January 2, 2023 are Artisan 1.0 Alternative Energy Ready, which includes the implementation of all feasible energy sources available at the project location, then allows the system intelligence to determine the most efficient energy source on a real-time bases. The goal of this design is to provide continuous creature comfort without the aid of a functioning power grid. It consists of a number of energy concepts and systems programmed to work in unison including:
THERMAL BUILDING ENVELOPE
- Insulated Concrete Form construction
- Air tight to 1.0 ACH 50 **
- R-33 walls, R-60 attic, R-60 vaulted ceilings.
- Thermal mass foundation
** The “1.0” refers to the number of involuntary air changes per hour a home experiences at a pressure of 50 pascals. (1.0 ACH 50). A typical new construction home tests at 5.0 to 6.0 ACH 50. A home testing 1.0 ACH 50 is 5 to 6 times more air tight than a typical home.
AIR MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
- “Healthy Home” whole house heat recovery ventilation system with 2 HEPA filters.
- Hydronic heating with optional solar vacuum tube collector.
- Ultra-high efficiency boiler.
- Steam Humidifier
- Mechanically operated economizer with 2 HEPA filters for incoming air.
- Central air cooling.
- Optional water source heat pump.